The University of the South

The University of the South
The University of the South, known generally as Sewanee, is owned and governed by 28 dioceses of the Episcopal Church located in 12 southern states. Founded in 1857, the University began formal instruction after the Civil War in 1868 and has been in operation continuously from that time. Income from endowment funds, gifts from alumni and friends, contributions from the owning dioceses, and student tuitions provide the main financial support for the University.

The University of the South includes the College of Arts and Sciences, School of Letters, The School of Theology, and the Summer Session of The School of Theology. The College of Arts and Sciences enrolls over 1,600 students during the regular academic year and has a teaching faculty of over 100 members. The College has been coeducational since 1969, and more than half of its undergraduate students are women.

The University of the South is a charter member of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Credits from the University are accepted by all institutions of higher learning in this country and abroad.

All facilities of the University are located at Sewanee, Tennessee, about 60 miles northwest of Chattanooga and 90 miles southeast of Nashville, on Highway 64/41A, just off Interstate 24. The campus is in the center of a 13,000-acre hardwood forest known as “the Domain” of the University, situated on the Cumberland Plateau some 2,000 feet above sea level. The architecture of the University buildings is English Gothic; the buildings are constructed of locally quarried sandstone.

The University of the South publishes the Sewanee Review, one of the oldest literary quarterlies in America, founded in 1892, and one of the world’s most prestigious literary magazines.

Sewanee places major emphasis upon honor. Its students are expected to conduct themselves with integrity, discipline, a sense of individual responsibility, and regard for other people. Students make a commitment to these ideals by signing the University’s Honor Code, and in exchange for this commitment the University grants its students freedom and privacy. The Honor Code is a time-honored tradition at Sewanee and is maintained entirely by an Honor Council elected from the student body.

Sewanee has nine honor societies, including a Phi Beta Kappa chapter established in 1926, which recognize excellence in scholarship.